Friday, January 14, 2011

Easy Pinto Bean Recipe

Pot o' Beans! The best solution for budget meals. I'm not much of a cook, but I can cook a pot of pinto beans and they are great for multiple meals. I like beans alone with cheddar and saltines or tortillas, but they are also a good start to chili and you can refry them or use them in tacos as substitutes for meat. I personally prefer black beans as meat substitutes in Mexican dishes.


Easy Pinto Beans
1 lb dry pinto beans
2  1/2 centimeter thick slices salt pork (can be found at Food Maxx or Winco in Fresno)
3 whole cloves garlic
1 tbsp salt
4 quarts water, minimum

We do not soak our beans. Boil water in a large pot. Add all the ingredients at once. Cook on high for three hours covered. This will mean a lot of steam and some attention. You have to be careful not to run out of water or they'll burn. You can always add water. You can cook them at a simmer, it will just take longer. When the beans are soft they are done. If they are splitting open they are over done, but they will still taste good. Keep the salt pork frozen.
Now if someone can teach me how to make Mexican/Spanish rice, let me know.

No comments: